bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, July 04, 2014

Flowers and art....and chairs...

Earlier this spring, I bought this mix for a flower garden.....so much variety!

Sure enough, I have flowers which I have never had before, though not as many as in the photo on the package.

My favorite was ready for a close up....

I don't even know what this is! But love the red and pink! I see a tiny grasshopper or leaf hopper is playing there, .....but I am thinking of doing a painting of this blossom and featuring a honey bee....now endangered.

Today, I painted milkweed and Monarch butterflies. The more milkweed we plant, the better it is for the Monarchs!

By reading Barbara Kingsolver's novel "Flight Behavior", I learned a lot about the orange Monarch.

They were called "King Billies" by early North American settlers, because of their orange color, they were reminders of the English king, William of Orange. The monarch of Britain, hence "Monarch" butterflies!

So today, I worked on a canvas with my brushes, palette knife and acrylic paints....

Almost finished...(above)....

Ta-da!

It was really fun, I painted or finished some others too!

 

 

You can see that I LOVE chairs! There may be more chair paintings ahead too!

 

********+**********+***********+*************+*******

Now a quiet evening (Inspite of neighborhood fireworks!) of quilting on this flag quilt......Happy Fourth of July to all!

 

4 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love your paintings. The bright colors of the flowers is so summery and pretty. And your quilt is gorgeous! It's such a gorgeous design! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Love the paintings and the quilt. Thanks for the info on the butterfly - I had no idea, now I can't wait to see one again - I will call it King Billie for sure.

Julie said...

I already commented on your beautiful painting on Facebook. I wanted to tell you that those flowers are called godetia. I have a thing for chairs too. I love the colors of those.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Thanks, Julie!
I looked up godetia, and found out it is also called, "farewell to spring". I will definitely plant more next year!

Related Posts with Thumbnails